Monday, May 15, 2006

Teen Challenge Walk-A-Thon A Success!


Audrey's Home For Girls, our local chapter of Teen Challenge for girls 13-18, had a walk-a-thon this past Saturday at Fairview Park. "Stride For Recovery" raised over 11,000 for ongoing projects to modernize the facility at the old YMCA building and to help subsidize the cost of ongoing care for these troubled teens.

Although Teen Challenge is very appreciative of those who took part in Stride For Recovery, I'm sure they would appreciate any additional support anyone in Decatur could give.

One thing I would offer would be this: Consider putting Audrey's Home For Girls on your list for a monthly donation. Similar to other charities, a monthly donation would be a great way for you to help girls in your community and can also be a tax deductible gift as well.

If you would like to donate to Teen Challenge - Audrey's Home For Girls, call Heather Harper at 423-9117.

4 comments:

LincolnRepublican said...

The fool says in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, and their ways are vile;
there is no one who does good.


--Psalm 53:1

You are loved, Jenny.

Anonymous said...

I thik that Audry's Home has some of the best staff in the world and that if the girls will fully committ themselves to the program it will change there lives. Thank you staff I love and miss you all.

Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who knows. I graduated the program a few years ago and I will never be the same. They put me in shackles and an orange jumpsuit for months! They wrote us up for talking anytime but during meals and free time(which was only on weekends). I'm not the same person because of that place and I wasn't changed for the better. I'm terrified to speak my mind because I'm scared I'll be put on talking restriction for a week. Some of the staff members got to live and eat there for free... while my parents pay thousands for me to live there?!?! I've seen plenty of girls try to kill themselves in there and honest to God, a lot of the girls that went to the program with me have gotten knocked up right when they got out. Teen Challenge is after the money. They treated us like shit instead of helping us when needed. If you are a parent looking to send your kid to a Teen Challenge... please think twice. Why send your child to a place that's going to fuck them up even more?

Anonymous said...

As someone who knows many of the staff, and graduates of the program, NO ONE is put in shackles. Methinks your description is a bit emotionally charged.

The success rate of Teen Challenge has been reported at about 70-75% whereas other programs are lucky to see 35%.