Sunday, September 21, 2008

September Thoughts

A few things I'd like to comment on:

1) 1st National Bank of Decatur

Well, it used to be called that. Then they "merged" with Main Street Bank & Trust, then Main Street was purchased by Busey Bank (from Champaign/Urbana.) There are always hiccups when banks change owners and computer systems. One thing that Main Street lost when it became Busey: the personal touch. To get anything done, you have to go through faceless people in Champaign. I'd like to see a Herald & Review "Best of" category for banks and see what the general population has to say. Anyone care to comment?

2) School is back in session

...and I've already been hit up by at least three different groups of kids from different schools asking me to buy something. Raising money for....what? Band instruments? Trips to Venezuela? I heard once that the Mt. Zion Bingo Hall can generate a huge amount of money for any given group almost overnight. My question is this: Why do we need to raise money, and what is it going for? If the answer has anything to do with the Illinois State budget, then watch out... you don't want to get me started.

3) Baseball

Not one but TWO Chicago teams heading to the playoffs? Whoa. Predictions anyone? I think the Cubs have an excellent shot at the NL pennant. The White Sox will have a very large uphill battle to win the AL, but it is indeed possible. With the division series only five games and the LCS being seven, I don't think the White Sox will be able to make it. I give them a 50/50 shot. The Cubs I give a 75% chance at winning the NLCS. Although I would love to see an all-Chicago World Series, I just don't think it's going to happen.

4) Election Time

Speaking of "I just don't think it's going to happen," has anyone heard the latest about Obama? Seems his campaign has been caught lying on national television, and the MSM has been defending RUSH LIMBAUGH, of all people!! Google it; it's there. Predictions here? I think the more the American people take a good long look at both candidates, look at the levels of experience, level-headedness, and how much each candidate's philosophy matches their own, McCain/Palin will emerge victorious. One thing that both parties still haven't mastered yet is knowing the effect of the new media. Dan Rather/forged documents, Plamegate, and now lying in Spanish, the new media will not allow the propaganda to go unchallenged. Maybe this will all lead to people personally researching their candidates and their party, and then making a decision? Not for a while. We have too many people out there that vote for a party much like they do for a sports team--do or die, bad or good, their team is the one. Being a die-hard Cub or Cardinal fan is fine by me--the way the game is played doesn't change all that much; just the players and stadium location. Political parties DO change, and for many reasons. New technology, new national problems, new dictators (trying old tricks), new philosophies changing the platform of each party as time passes, etc. My question here is this: If a party goes from being a defender of the free world, pro-traditional values, and putting defense of country before party ambition =TO= a party of appeasement, anti-traditional values, and putting party before country, does that mean they are the same? No. It doesn't. I have been a registered Democrat. I have been a registered Republican. I now vote based upon how close each candidate's/party's philosophy matches my own philosophy/values. I would encourage you to do the same.


5) State Government

One question: Will we ever get political leaders in Illinois State government that ARE NOT CORRUPT? George Ryan, Rod Blagojevich....and all the people that help(ed) them...

Okay, I think I'm done.

I'm sure that few people read this anymore, except for the other local bloggers. Feel free to comment away....

3 comments:

MCR said...

LR:

Your comments about the upcoming election ring very true. If you would like to see a "conservative Democrat" and his minions attempt to justify their support for the most liberal Senator to date, you need only go to blogdecatur.

A friend turned me on to The Back Pew Guy, a weekly cartoon drawn by a gentleman in Minnesota. Checkout the blurb on "impulse voting." I think you'll identify with his point of view.

Go to The Back Pew

Loretta said...

Very interesting blog. There are some really interesting articles featured by our experts on the bizymoms Decaturcommunity experts page.

Anonymous said...

"Rauner Republicans" are experiencing severe buyer's remorse.

They are pooping their drawers.